Mandatory Solid Waste & Recycling Compliance Form
Solid Waste and Recycling Regulations and Waiver Instructions
All commercial businesses in the City of Chino, including multi-family properties with five units or more, must comply with Assembly Bill (AB) 341, the State of California's Mandatory Commercial Recycling requirement for materials such as paper, cardboard, metals, glass, etc. that are generated on the property.
Beginning January 1, 2022, California Senate BIll (SB) 1383 requires all businesses and multi-family properties to arrange for organic waste recycling services (i.e., food waste and green waste) As required by the State, these regulations were codified in the Chino Municipal Code Section 8.18.180 to allow for local enforcement. Certain businesses may qualify for waivers from these mandatory programs; however, only those who have requested and received a waiver from the city can avoid mandated participation. If a waiver is not approved by the City, your business or property will be required to participate in mandated services.
To apply for exemption, complete the accompanying Waiver Request Form and provide the required information. Waivers may be requested for each type of exemption you believe applies to your business. There are three categories of waiver requests:
1. Third-Party waiver for Businesses with Landscape Contractors/Recyclers
- Businesses that have organics recycling by a landscaper, diver to a non-profit organization or other third-party recycler may apply.
- Third-party recyclers must maintain disposal/recycling records and divert organic waste from landfills as required by state law.
- Your business must agree to submit information to the city periodically to verify ongoing programs.
2. Waiver for Businesses with Minimal Organic Waste (i.e., "De Minimis Waiver")
- Businesses (Mulit-Family excluded that generate a limited amount of organic waste may apply fro a low generator "de minimis" waiver if they have:
- (a) Total solid waste collection of two cubic yards or more per week (i.e., equals to at least 12 large or 24 regular trash bags, or about two-thirds of a standard dumpster). And organic waste of less than 20 gallons per week (i.e., about 2 tall kitchen bags); or
- (b) Total solid waste collection of less than two cubic yards per week and collected organic waste of less than 10 gallons per week.
3. Space Constraint Waiver
- Businesses lacking space for separate or additional organic waste or recycling collection may request a space constraint waiver.
- To qualify, you must demonstrate that space constraints cannot be resolved by downsizing containers, using split containers, or other solutions. You must first work with the City's solid waste collection hauler to consider solutions to space constraints.
- State regulations allow the City to waive compliance only if the City's own staff, a licensed architect, or a licensed engineer confirms the lack of adequate container space.
How to COMPLY
Sign up for Waste Management Services by calling (800)423-9986.
SCHEDULE a FREE Waste Assessment
Contact Waste Management's Recycling Compliance Representative at (951) 532-1715.
APPLY for a Waiver
Submit the Solid Waste & Recycling Compliance Form below.